Monday, January 19, 2009

Forward, Upward, Onward Together

The MV Explorer pulled out of Nassau right on schedule and we are currently on our way to Cadiz, Spain. As we left the Bahamas, and a throng of parents who looked like they were close to following us off the port, I heard from students left and right, “I can’t believe we’re really doing this.” One told me that the thought that he will literally be traveling around the world just hasn’t sunk in yet. I’m with him.

Earlier this morning, as I was walking through Nassau, I noticed a plaque on the Supreme Court building with the motto of the Bahamas, which read, “Forward, Upward, Onward Together.” I found this to be very fitting to the voyage that we are all embarking upon.


724 students, representing 235 universities have chosen to be a part of this journey. They will see, as I have in the past five days, that Semester at Sea is unlike anything else. I am not just talking about the fact that students will be exposed to different cultures and places across the globe. Less than half of a SAS student’s time is spent on land. The remaining part of a student’s time is spent aboard the MV Explorer, which is now home to all of us. There is a vibrant shipboard community here that each one of them is now a part of. It is this community, which I hope to introduce you to over the course of our voyage.

On a side note, for more regular updates on ship activities, please visit http://twitter.com/SAS_spring09 where I will be providing brief notes on student life.